Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Great Zim



I don't think anyone can touch him, he is the epitome of a rock and roll poet, he's also a personal hero of mine so I guess I'm biased, but I mean come on, Bob Dylan is in a class by himself.

Whenever I feel tired or uninspired, Bob Dylan somehow comes into my life, all I have to do is put in "Blonde on Blonde", or "Blood on the Tracks", or "Highway 61 Revisited", and I'm reinvigorated, somehow all those weird wonderful songs, so cryptic yet so heartfelt came from one mind.

Dylan has lived a life of contradictions, he started out as a folk protester, then defied his followers by turning to electric music. After a motorcycle accident, he went into solitude to come out with a mellower tone. He made his most naked and emotional album with "Blood on the Tracks", then he turned christian. By the late nineties, his voice was more grizzled than ever and made a series of modern masterpieces. I've seen him three times in less than seven years on his "never ending tour".

About two months ago, I was going through my endless cd collection and came upon "Blood on the Tracks" which I actually thought was lost and gone, I hadn't heard it in over two years. I put it in my dusty old cd player and laid on my bed while it played, it took me back to a place I longed forgot, it didn't open old wounds like it used to but fond memories. It's probably my favorite Dylan album because in it, I can hear him wailing in pain over a broken relationship, and it was just as I felt, but now as I listen to it, it's more peaceful.

Bob Dylan is still an excellent songsmith, I never get tired of his words, or his voice, he's there when I need him, he's a comfort, a companion, he can be anything I want him to be since he stays so mysterious. All we need is that voice, those words, and that music.

No comments:

Post a Comment