Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Fullness of Art

Today struck me as an inspirational day, nothing out of the ordinary happened, I woke up, I tended to my daily routine of getting groceries, and making myself dinner, but three instances had an influence on me today which made it somewhat more unique than had they never happened.

The first instance came when I was reading the news on the Internet about Jon Stewart's reaction to the tragedy in Tuscon Arizona where a crazed gunman killed six people and wounded fourteen including a congresswoman. The article inspired me to look up Stewart's speech myself. What I saw was nine minutes of an articulate intelligent speaker, a man who's job it is to satirize the daily events, humanizing a travesty. Stewart cut through the bullshit mostly seen on news stations where political pundits try to point fingers at who's to blame, you could tell he was speaking from the heart. I've been a loyal follower of Stewart since I first saw his show many years ago, he's the most forthright and honest man on television right now, it's no wonder he has more integrity than actual newsmen because he's allowed tell it as he sees it.

Watching the nine minute video put me in a reflective mood, I wanted to be alone with my thoughts after that, I wanted to digest what I had just seen, I was moved by Stewart's words.

A little while had past, it was now about six o'clock, dinner time, I was in my room, kinda wondering what I would do next, not sure. I started unpacking some stuff since I had just moved into a new place. Something struck me, it was a painting on my wall. I had purchased a calendar of Renoir paintings for the new year, it was the first thing I hung on my wall, but I realized I haven't really looked at it since I bought it. I noticed it past the corner of my eye, it was a painting of a crowd scene at a dance. There are many people in the painting, to me it's capturing a moment in time. I don't know much about Renoir or his paintings, but they struck me this one particular day when I saw the calendar. I liked the paintings for a very personal reason, they simply spoke to me, the faces, the people, what they were doing, how it was all captured, I found real truth in what he was trying to convey.

After viewing the painting for a few moments, I got the urge to watch a film, I went to my vast movie collection, the first thing I had unpacked fully and took out a film I had seen many times before. It was "Manhattan" from Woody Allen, I love the film I think it is probably my favorite Woody Allen film. Watching it this time, I happened to notice certain things I hadn't before, as well as remembering favorite scenes that have always struck me as marvelous. There is of course the scene with Woody and Diane Keaton walking through the planetarium, photographed as if they are in space.

The film ended, and I felt a fullness of life and love and wonder. I was suddenly hungry, I missed dinner time, it was now 8:45pm, I went upstairs, the kitchen was a mess, I took some time and cleaned the kitchen, not watching the clock or anything, I fixed myself a meal, I finished everything by 10:00pm, I now felt the urge to sit down and write about these three experiences I had today. Before I go to bed, I think I'll read a few chapters from a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment