Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Those Quiet Moments

I would describe myself as a quiet person. I don't like noise, in fact I would say I have a high sensitivity to it. Loud things disrupt me, they startle me, and take me out of where I am. When we were children, my brother would usually yell "Jeremy!" in my ear to get my attention, in fact occasionally he reminds me of the fact that he hasn't outgrown it, I sometimes think that's where my sensitivity for noise started.

At parties, I usually find it easier to slip away, if I'm lucky I find one or two people who I can dip into conversation with, but as a habit, I stay away from the loud music. I don't think I could ever be accused of being the loudest person in the room, in fact some people have to be reminded that I'm actually still in the room. I don't mind it (most of the time) I seem to have stumbled upon a way to become invisible making it easier for me to avoid the ones I choose not to socialize with. I usually have chosen solitude over large groups, I don't know if it's a healthy choice, certainly I wouldn't recommend it all the time, but sometimes you just need some alone time.

When I'm alone things become clear, I am able to formulate things such as thoughts and feelings more coherently, I'm stimulated by my own mind. With each passing year, the world has become more and more discombobulated, harder and harder to comprehend, and I don't think it's because I'm old fashioned but because the world has become a distraction to what is really important.

People seem to talk more these days, but do you ever notice that much of what they say doesn't matter. Conversation has been taken over by gossip or mild chit chat to fill in dead space. Have we become afraid of dead space, must we have the quick and easy answer to every question, without it being thoughtful or insightful?

Conversation is not dead, but communication is becoming endangered, maybe it's me but I see too much apathy going on today, we are saying things, but no one stands by to listen, either that or they mis communicate what is being said, just listen to some talk radio, or talk shows if you don't believe me. Much is being said, but it gets distorted then forgotten.

A quiet moment for me doesn't have to be when I'm alone, but it's when I can block out all the things that don't really matter, I'm focused, and I'm thoughtful, sometimes it comes from a book I read, a film I view, a song I hear, or a person I talk to. It's moments like these that have the power make me feel connected, with this world, and with this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment