Wednesday, March 31, 2010

My requirements for a relationship

I was reading one of my favorite movie bloggers Jim Emerson today, and this post came to my attention Bad sneakers and a piña colada, my friend - scanners

Anyway I thought it would be fun to think of the things, or tastes if you will I find in a relationship, whether they are turn ons or turn offs.

I keep it no secret, I am a movie buff, this is a number one thing with me. There are certain movies I will show women, and then I see what their reaction is to them. Quentin Tarantino has said he's done this with women and "Rio Bravo", he shows them "Rio Bravo" and sees what their reaction is.

For me it can be a real turn off if a woman doesn't like your favorite movie, or at least one of your favorite movies. I will always show a woman one of my favorites, I've done this with "It's a Wonderful Life". The most serious relationship I was ever in began by each of us showing eachother our favorite movie. She went first and we watched "Titanic". I was less than enthused, but I could still watch it, for it wasn't a bad movie. She of course cried, I had my arm around her, it was a beautiful moment, we were still starting out in our relationship, so I could block out the movie with the fact that I was with her.

I showed her "It's a Wonderful Life", she told me she liked it, I felt she was humouring me, we still weren't at the stage where we could be completely honest with eachother.

I couldn't help but be the movie nerd that I am and I don't think it helped when we saw "You've Got Mail" together. She loved it, thought it was the best movie ever made, I of course had to allude that the original film "The Shop Around the Corner" was better. We watched, and wasn't but five minutes into the film when she asked me to turn it off. It turned out she didn't like the way the actors talked back then, it annoyed her. I swallowed my pride, but trying to make this relationship work, she suggested "The Wizard of Oz". Of course "The Wizard of Oz", who doesn't love that movie? Half way through the film, she found an excuse to leave, I knew then, it wouldn't last.

Things got even worse when our music tastes were different, I remember playing her an Elvis Costello song that I said really meant a lot to me, she could only say "oh it's nice" at the end. Trust me, if I tell you her music tastes, you'll just make fun of me.

We always had our books, which is the one thing we always could talk about, she introduced me to authors she liked, and I did the same, but I don't think I could get past the "Shop Around the Corner" incident. It ended.

Another relationship I had was also less successful, I showed her "Casablanca" and "His Girl Friday", she was bored by the black and white, and made fun of it. I showed her a Coen Brothers comedy, she thought it was stupid. In a last ditch effort on her part, we went to see the George Clooney film "Up in the Air" recently, I was moved by it, she found it depressing, afterwards it was obvious we were from a different planet entirely. This one I should've known when we also went to a Neil Young concert and she spent the time covering her ears.

It's important to share your passions, I feel that's the only way to know if you click with someone, if they find your passions dull or uninteresting then where would that lead you? I'm not saying someone has to be entirely in love with what I love, but they must know that this is part of who I am, and vise versa.

No comments:

Post a Comment