Friday, July 16, 2010

Trying to Write

It's been awhile since I last wrote something in my various blogs, I'm not sure if I had much to say. A few days ago I thought about writing about my play "The Universal" which had its premier at the "Bohemian Rhapsody" festival in Red Deer, but I thought no, I don't really wanna write about that. Trying to write about something I wrote is almost as difficult as talking about something I wrote.

I read something by this fellow blogger whom I just happened to come across about trying to write something everyday. That was what this blog was helping me to do. I'm not sure if I got lazy and decided not to write something in awhile, or I was taking a vacation.

I wanted to write something in my blog, it many ways it's therapeutic, and sometimes it's just fun. Writing takes my mind off things, even if it's just a bunch of stuff I find interesting. I saw two short plays last night that inspired me to write, one of them was by a friend of mine, the other one was by an acquaintance, needless to say they both humbled me. One of them took a certain style I envy and have tried to write before with little success, the other dealt with a subject matter which I would say was foreign to and did it with integrity.

After watching these two plays it reminded me of the importance of art and staying true to yourself. It's difficult, I mean really truly difficult to actually stray away from other people's expectations and to actually create something that is 100% true to yourself. I often ask myself, "is this what I wanted"? Never mind what people thought, is this what I wanted, is this what I set out to do when I thought of the idea? Did I compromise in any way?

Another question I ask is, did I do everything humanly possible to create what I wanted? I'm hardly ever sure of any of these questions, second guessing myself is a great fault of mine.

I don't know, maybe I felt I needed a break from writing, maybe I was disappointed in myself, maybe I had to recharge my battery, maybe I had other things on my mind.

I guess whatever the case may be, I was sidetracked for awhile, I will always come back to writing, it's an addiction, even if I'm bad at it or I'm struggling with it, I will always come back to it because I truly believe I have something to say and when I'm able to find the words to express them, it is one of the most fulfilling moments of my life.

So I guess I'm here to say I'm back, I'm back to writing, doing what I do, hoping that someone somewhere will find what I'm saying interesting then sometime I will be able to get something out there that is worthwhile to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment