Friday, September 3, 2010

My Lost Experience



Summer is winding down, it's been rather disappointing weather-wise and movie-wise. I'm a movie buff, and there's nothing more annoying than a summer with such weak uninteresting movies. What does a man do, but turn to television.

For those of you who read this blog on a regular basis know that I started the summer watching "Dr. Who" which is like the coolest thing I ever experienced, but after "Dr. Who" was over, I was still starved for my next summer type show. I've heard by practically everyone I know that I should start watching "Lost".

I gave "Lost" a bit of a chance a while ago, my roommates bought season one on DVD and I started watching it with them. We watched about three or four episodes and I just couldn't get into it; my roommates on the other hand couldn't stop watching it; often I knew if it was on if I was in my room and below me, I could hear on the tv the deep voice say "Previously on Lost..."

I didn't think I was ever going to get into it, but finally this summer, I dived right in, and I must admit, I did get hooked. I probably wouldn't have started watching it if my co-workers weren't doing it at the same time. They were watching season one, and since I was living out at work most of the time, I would borrow a disc as it became available to me.

At the end of season one, I wasn't quite convinced of the hype surrounding the show, it ended with Jack and Locke opening a hatch and looking inside it. Personally I didn't think the hatch was all that mysterious, but I continued watching.

I think I liked the show not so much of the mystery surrounding it, (although later on I was intrigued) but I was invested in the emotional core of the characters and their situations. To me, the show started resembling a Dickens novel, it was about a wide variety of characters who are all brought together through fate or coincidence, in other words just what Dickens did.

Dickens after all was a popular writer and originally his books would be released only chapters at a time in magazines, people had to wait until the next publication to see what happened next. "Lost" pretty much worked on the same principle, all I can say is thank God for tv on DVD, I don't think I could make it if the I watched it regularly every week on regular television.

"Lost" became my summer movie experience, it was just what I wanted from the movie theatres but I was at home watching it on tv. By the time I made it to the season five cliffhanger, which itself had better production design than most Hollywood movies produced, I was literally at the edge of my seat.

I have now finished "Lost" the entire series, I am satisfied, I'm not sure what to think about the who mythology of the Island, it being a huge cork that keeps all the evil from spreading over the world, but emotionally I was not disappointed. I felt a connection with all of the characters and I loved seeing them all come together in the end.

The unanswered questions don't bother me so much, if they were to attempt to answer everything, it might've become a bit too convoluted, I'm willing to just accept the mystery that was the Island, and perhaps I'll return to it again in time, for now, I'll leave you with this, Desmond was so full of awesomeness, to "Lost" I'll say "See you in another life brotha".

No comments:

Post a Comment