Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My Summer Book Reviews!!!

Well summer is pretty much all over, it's the day after Labour Day and while it isn't really technically over, the days are getting shorter, the leaves have begun to fall, the kids are back at school, and that chill is back in the air. So I proclaim the summer season to be officially over, kinda sad. As you may remember if you are a faithful reader of this blog, a while ago at the beginning of the summer season I wrote down the books I intended to read during the summer months. I admit I may have been a bit too ambitious, but I really wanted to read as much as I can, most of the reason was because I love to read, but also I have a huge library of books that have been on my shelf for years and I still haven't gotten around to reading them, my problem is I just keep on buying new books.

There were 8 books on my list that I was going to read, with a few more just in case I finished the others in record time. I was however unable to finish the 8 books on my list and only was able to finish 6 (I blame "Lost"!) But despite the setback, I must admit all the books I read were thoroughly enjoyable and couldn't have been more different from the others, so without further adieu, here are my thoughts of the books I read over the summer.




The Adventures of Tom Sawyer: By Mark Twain What better book to start off with than probably the quintessential summer story. Reading "Tom Sawyer" actually began for me back in the sixth grade, when I was supposed to read it for class; strangely enough however, I stopped reading it when I was only 90 pages away from finishing, I supposed my mind was on other things back then. I always wanted to go back to finish the book, so finally I have. I'm sure everyone knows the name Tom Sawyer who shares the same kind of fame as Twain's other creation Huckleberry Finn. The story is pretty much about the innocent trouble a young boy gets into. Tom Sawyer isn't really a bad kid, he just likes doing things kids like to do. I found the book utterly charming and I love Twain's way of writing, it's so funny and he seems to love his characters, I found the best time to read this was on a lazy, hot, summer day.



Franny and Zooey: By J.D. Salinger J.D. Salinger has become one of my favorite writers after reading "The Catcher in the Rye", and "Nine Stories" earlier this year. "Franny and Zooey" just seemed to be the logical step for my further exploration into his stories. The book is actually two stories, the shorter one primarily focuses on Franny, and the second one is on her brother Zooey. The two of them are a part of Salinger's Glass family who's different members have their own stories written by him. The two stories are brilliant little pieces, and I love Salinger's use of dialogue, it's almost as if I were reading a play sometimes rather than a book, since he uses dialogue a lot. Franny and Zooey are a wonderful duo and I suspect anyone who has a sibling they are close to will love this book.



Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: By J.K. Rowling I finally finished the literary phenomenon of the century. I've read the other Harry Potter books and thoroughly enjoyed them, I actually bought this book way back when it was first released, and I actually thought I was going to read it right away. I'm not sure why I didn't, things just kept getting in the way. Perhaps I got interested in other types of stories and the whole world of Harry Potter no longer interested me as it once did. Still I wanted to finish the saga, and the book was always there staring me in the face, so I finally read it. That being said, I was fully satisfied with the ending, (SPOILER) I didn't want Harry to die, and I never really thought he was going to, I never really understood those people who thought he would, Harry's the hero. However when he does die for that small moment and reconnects with Dumbledore it was quite touching. I wouldn't say Harry Potter is as emotional to me as it is with others, but it was good escapist entertainment for the summer.



Little Dorrit: By Charles Dickens Perhaps my favorite book I read over the summer, but I could be a little biased, it is after all written by the man who I consider was the greatest writer who ever lived. In "Little Dorrit", Dickens perhaps outdoes himself with the large cast of characters, I never count how many characters are in his books, but this must be one of his most. The story concerns a young girl who is raised by her father in a debtor's prison. Her father was put away there 25 years ago and it is the only home she knows. A young man takes an interest in her and tries to get her father out of prison. I've written about Dickens before and why I love his books, he has such a great way of describing his scenery, and the people in it, he also has a charming sense of humour, his characters remain most eccentric and lovable. His books may be on the long side at times, but it's like a feast for the mind, his worlds are worlds I love to go to time and time again. To read "Little Dorrit" is like returning to a world I know and love so well.



The Wrong Side of Paris: By Honore De Balzac Probably the most obscure title I read this summer, even one that may not be recognizable for people who know Balzac's work, certainly not for me. By chance, I happen to be glancing in a bookstore in Edmonton when I came upon it, I read the synopsis and found it interesting. The story takes place in Paris not too long after the French Revolution, it concerns a young man of 30 who becomes disillusioned with life, but by chance falls in with a group of good Samaritans who remain anonymous to the people they help. Perhaps it was the fact that I was going to be 30 this year I thought the book would be an interesting read. I read it and for a long time it stayed with me, it deals with past of some of these Samaritans and what brought them to do this in their lives. I found the subject very contemporary, and you could sense that Balzac was trying to depict what the feelings of many Frenchmen were like after the revolution.



Stories: By Anton Chekhov I just finished this yesterday, even though I haven't read many short stories, I find the ones by Anton Chekhov to be the most relevant to me. Perhaps more than any other writer, I think his sensibilities speak the most to my own. However, that being said, Chekhov is probably not the best writer to choose on a nice summer day. I found many of his earlier stories very sad, but always full of humanity and warmth. "A Boring Story" is perhaps the saddest story I've ever read which concerns a dying man who comes to the realization that his life doesn't amount to anything. I also found his "The Fidget" very touching as well which deals with a young woman who takes his husband for granted and does not realize how much she loves him till it's too late. There's also "Ward No. 6" about a Doctor who only finds solace in conversation with a patient in an insane asylum, in the end, his colleagues deem him crazy as well and put him in the asylum where he dies. However it's not all doom and gloom, Chekhov seems to be more romantic in his later years and maybe a little bit more hopeful. "The Student" which is very short but is probably his most optimistic story, and then there is "The Fiancee" about a young woman who decides she wants more to life than getting married, although her freedom comes as a price, yet the ending remains cautiously optimistic. Probably the most famous story is "The Lady with the Little Dog" which describes the love affair between a middle aged man and a younger married woman. The story is quite touching particularly when you discover that it's the first time this middle aged man has ever felt real love. Chekhov remains one of my favorite writers, he goes for universal themes, they are sometimes hard to take, but it's always worth it, much like life.

No comments:

Post a Comment