Thursday, September 30, 2010

Three Obsessions of the Week



1. Sophie's World: My latest bit of reading material is quite the page turner for anyone interested in the world of philosophy. It's actually a fantasy story about a young girl named Sophie who starts getting mysterious philosophical messages from a stranger. The book acts as an entertaining story as well as a history about philosophy starting from the Greeks and ending with todays. Each chapter is meant to make you think about the world today as it relates to philosophy from the beginning. Think of it as an entertaining text book.



2. Legend of the Guardians : Although 3-D still has a long way to go to impress me, I found this film to be one of the best uses of the technology, even to rival "Avatar". It's an animated story but is rather dark, for some reason the animation reminded me of the old Don Bluth films of the 80s ("The Secret of Nimh", "An American Tale") The animals in this film along with Bluth's films always had a more sinister look to them much different to Disney or even Pixar. I recommend this film to anyone who wants to see a good 3-D movie.



3. Bob Dylan: Blood on the Tracks: My favorite Dylan album and one I thought was lost forever in my collection. I found it the other day and kept playing it. The album was made in the mid-seventies, Dylan was approaching middle age and was in the midst of a nasty break-up with his wife Sara. The songs are powerful and there's something about Dylan's voice in this era that I like so much. Lyrics and music of this magnitude is hard to come by.

No comments:

Post a Comment