Friday, October 8, 2010

When Landlords Attack!

So okay, just wanted to get this down in blog form, this will probably turn into a rant not sure, I just started writing.

My roommates and I have finally freed ourselves from the clutches of our former house. It seemed like a long time coming, I remember how excited we all were when we moved in, we felt like we were getting a great deal on the house, and our landlords were very pleasant.

As time passed, things started to change, we had a gas leak from our stove, our basement lights burnt out, the door to our dryer didn't work, our washer leaked, our doorbell didn't work, and the economy crashed, all in all you're looking some not-so-happy campers.

Looking at it from a tenants point of view, much of what happened we blame the landlords, well maybe not the economy crashing, although they do seem to be the type of who can be blamed for something like that happening.

We asked for our rent to be lowered since we saw many homes dropping in price and we thought that was a reasonable request before we sign our new lease. That didn't happen, we still signed our lease, but the landlords promised to fix everything as soon as possible. That didn't happen either, so we were stuck with them for another year.

As April or June came by, we were feeling it was time to move on so we asked to get out of our lease, our landlords wouldn't budge, I think this was when they began to turn on us. By this time, I was tired of paying such a huge rent with the little money I had, (last winter wasn't good to me)I wanted to get out, we all did.

Finally, September came and we were out of our lease, the nightmare seemed to have ended, yet it was just beginning. Once we were moved out, our landlords came for a final walk through. By the end they accused us of turning the house into a wreck, which we didn't. Some damage was done, but in our defense it was mostly wear and tear, it didn't matter to them, according to them, we left the place not in the way we found it in. That's actually not true, the house was in fact in the same or maybe even worse condition than we found it.

The walk through ended with the landlords saying they were keeping our damage deposit, and perhaps even billing us for more money if need be. I was there when this happened, and I can't believe I didn't do anything, I was trying to defend what we did the night before, but they didn't hear anything what I was saying.

Afterwards my fellow roommates still had some odds and ends to get out, which the landlords said they could, but when they came back later that day, the locks were changed, we were unable to get back in.

So that's the whole sordid story, our landlords have ten days to get back to us about what we owe them, on a plus side, their window of opportunity is closing fast, ten days will be over on Sunday, then they will have to forfeit our damage deposit over to us. Huzzah!

As for us, my roommates have found a new house that they seem to be happy with, I'm currently moved into a comfy cozy townhouse I share with one other person, paying a rent that I can afford. Everything in my place works, and the landlord is someone I know and trust, it's like starting over on the right foot this time.

I don't know what will happen with our old landlords, yet it feels good to vent about them, they definitely rank in the top five of most unpleasant people I've met. I hope secretly they read this blog and they know who this is, but I know they don't and they won't ever. I've been told by my former roommate Matt that apparently it's illegal to slander landlords so I won't name them, however the majority of people who read this blog do know their names and know exactly what I'm talking about.

Bottom line, our landlords were the suckiest landlords ever and for anyone going to rent from someone else, watch your step.

No comments:

Post a Comment