Saturday, June 12, 2010

My Three Obsessions of the Week

I'm going to be starting a new series in my blog, which I stole from another blog I read Kim Morgan. Every so often, Morgan likes to obsess over things and she writes about them. Oh those great obsessions that overtake our lives, in a way they sort of make it all worth it doesn't it. Anyway, here are my three obsession for this week.



1. David Tennant:: I'm not ashamed to admit it, but I am having a bit of a man crush on David Tennant right now. Currently I'm enjoying Mr. Tennant in everything I see him in. I am now watching his seasons as The Doctor in "Doctor Who" where he's so magnetic, and charismatic you wish he could play the role forever. Recently I've just watched Tennant's rendition of "Hamlet" on BBC which I thought was riveting. His first soliloquy almost brought tears to my eyes. Tennant is one of those actors who throws himself head first into a role, but what I could sense in both as The Doctor and Hamlet, he brings his own charm and wit to it as well. I know once I see him regenerate into the next doctor, I'll be a wreck for a long time.



2. The Beach Boys Pet Sounds Album: God what a horrible cover, but what a gorgeous album. I've loved The Beach Boys since I was a kid, their music is a part of my growing up. It's summer, and their music epitomizes this season better than anyone else. Today was the first day where it actually felt like summer outside, the sun was out, the grass was green, it was one of those perfect looking days. I decided to indulge myself in the "Pet Sounds" album and it brought back some fond memories of childhood, and of my teenage years when the music really spoke to me. No one can write ballads quite like Brian Wilson and the gang, and no one can write really positive music with so much alienated undertones as well, brilliant.



3. J.D. Salinger: If there was a writer who's work I wish I found little earlier in life, I think it would be J.D. Salinger. 2010 for me is the year I finally read "Cather in the Rye" and I found it to be a brilliant book, as most people do when they first read it. The writing is so natural, it's actually like Holden Caulfield is sitting in the room next to you telling his story. Afterwards, I wanted to read more of Salinger's work right away, getting his "Nine Stories" and "Fanny and Zooey" almost immediately. There is some good reading ahead for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment